A Clean Glass of Water

By Angie Kulhanek - Kudos Magazine Special Edition 2016

A Clean Glass of Water

The amount of water on Earth hasn’t fundamentally changed since the Earth was first formed. This means that the water we drink today could have some of the same water molecules that Jesus drank! It also means we need to protect and care for this resource since we can’t just make more of it. In my circle of family and friends, I am a water anomaly. Since I can remember, I have urged anyone in earshot that they should not waste water. “Turn the water off while you brush your teeth” and “Don’t let the water keep running while you’re doing the dishes.” are my typical requests. Everybody has that one pet peeve that can drive you insane. Conserving water is mine. If I’m at your house I cannot sit by and watch you let the water idly run from your tap. My hydrophilic passion takes over and, before I can stop it, I have to get up and turn off the tap before I combust. I am still passionate about conserving water. I carry water with me like a camel. When bottled purified water hit the market I jumped on board. I always had a bottle with me. Then I began to educate myself about plastic and the chemicals that are used to create these vessels. I learned how the bottle’s chemicals can leach into your water during temperature extremes. Those same chemicals can have negative effects on our health.  
My quest continued to find the best vessel for my water. I started reusing glass juice bottles, but the wide mouth top occasionally posed a challenge, with water dribbling down my chin. Then I found Grolsch beer. What a beautiful green glass bottle! The old-fashioned flip-top was great. It didn’t rust like the metal juice bottle lids and there weren’t any plastic parts. One hitch, though: It doesn’t look so good to be drinking water from a beer bottle while driving down the road or offering your child a drink of water from a beer bottle at the park. I still remember the looks from the other moms.  
Thank goodness we can now find affordable glass drinking bottles in all sorts of colors and shapes everywhere. 
I have found the perfect vessel for travel, but what about my home? My city mails me annual reports about my tap water and what’s in it — detailing what it calls the “safe” levels of organic and inorganic compounds. Uh, no thanks. How do they decide what are safe levels? 
And what if a safe level for one person isn’t safe for another?  Like a lot of people, I am not in the position to install a home water purification system. So once a week I lug two 2.5- gallon glass water jugs (with stainless steel spigots)  to my grocery store to fill them  with purified tap water. It’s a lot  of work, but for our health’s sake,  it’s worth it!  

Comments

Popular Posts